Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Finding Revitalization in Today's Economy - How the Ocean Changed a Life

Times are tough for millions of Americans these days, and when stressed we tend to withdraw and cut back on the many activities that offer mind regeneration and health. I went through a lay off two years ago as a result of my company losing key accounts. I didn't quite know what to do, except that I immediately needed to scramble to find new work opportunities. I would begin each day by sending my resume - I'd eat lunch while sending out more - I'd fall asleep at night researching opportunities. For quite some time, I secluded myself in my home waiting for an answer to my dilemma. A couple weeks went by and I was spending nearly the whole day in my PJ's, checking my e-mail every few minutes, barely going outside or interacting with my friends and family.

Finally, I received a call from one of my best friends who chastised me for my behavior. "We live 10 minutes from the beach," he half yelled. "Come with me to the beach and get your life in gear." My answer was that I wasn't going to waste precious time playing at the beach. My friend Scott responded, "I won't take no for an answer...I'll be there in 20 minutes. Be ready."

I pulled my pathetic self up from my couch, pushed my computer aside and gave in. On the way out the door, I grabbed my bag and cell phone. Scott grabbed my cell phone out of my hand and threw it on my couch. "No cell phone," he said. "You are going to take a break."

We arrived to our favorite beach on that sunny California weekday with beach toys in hand. The sun was shining, sky blue, and a warm breeze blowing in from Catalina. I remember jumping in the ocean and instantly feeling revitalized - all of my worries and frustrations disappeared. At the end of the day, I was able to put things into perspective and slept like a child for the first time since being laid off.

Scott and I made it a point to get back to our beach for a few hours at least 2 times a week. During those moments we ran around like kids, took long swims, took our masks and snorkels to view local sea creatures, and enjoyed feeling the sun on our faces.

Spending a few hours here and there away from my computer allowed for me to find the creativity and strength I needed to make it through a tough time. I ended up becoming a consultant for several companies...and wildly enough found my way to C Walters International, where I am allowed to share my love of the ocean, swimming, snorkeling and water sports.

The moral of the story is that if the ocean, a lake or pool is in your backyard, get out in the water!!! There I promise you will - find balance, strength, hope, simplicity and that all too ignored child within.

There are no admission fees to the water, so jump in!


http://www.destinationwater.com/
- A C Walters Intercoastal Corporation

No comments:

Post a Comment