Friday, May 8, 2009

An Ocean Swim -- Simply Amazing...

There is something to be said about the power of water. The other day I was stressed and needed to unwind, so I headed to my favorite spot in Laguna Beach with a friend hoping a dip in the ocean would make a difference. My friend had a camera and I had no idea that she caught my entire adventure...

I stood on the sandy shore questioning whether or not I was going to go through with it and then muttered to myself, "just dive in...be bold." I tugged my wetsuit over my bikini and yanked the zipper closed. Then thought again, "should I do this? It's gonna be cold!!!" The knowledge that my 3/2 wetsuit would keep me nice and toasty in the water did little to calm my hesitation as a chilly breeze blew in from the West. I liken the decision to jump into cold water to the tough decisions we have to make in life -- once there is forward momentum, though, the things we fear aren't as big and bad as we make them out to be.

Taking a deep breath, I went for it -- running toward the shore break my toes came in contact with the icy water. I moved a little faster and took a dive into a crested wave. Then came the usual shock to the system. "Whewwww!" A chill swept down from my head to my toes.

Swimming beyond the shore break, my body warmed and I was magically at one with the water -- revitalized and free from the stresses of life on land, or between the four walled world in which I spend the majority of my hours.

My reverie was interrupted when a surfer to the right waved and pointed in my direction. "Look!" he exclaimed with a smile on his face! Just about three feet away were four fins sticking out of the water. My initial instinct was to scramble for the shore and yell "shark!!!" And then four magnificent and adorable dolphin noses bobbed into the air. The pod continued to head in my direction, so close that I could almost reach out and touch one of their tails. They then circled around the surfer and I while playing in the waves like pups. A few minutes into my astonishment, they zipped off in the direction of Aliso Creek Beach, known for plentiful kelp beds on which they feed in the evenings.

Back on shore, I sat bundled in a towel to watch the sunset while wondering to myself why I don't do this more often...

- By Jen of CWIC

To learn more about CWIC, our brands and our products visit http://www.destinationwater.com/!


http://www.destinationwater.com/
- A C Walters Intercoastal Corporation

No comments:

Post a Comment